- Dough for double-crust pie
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Optional: Turbinado or coarse sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla bean ice cream, and caramel sauce
- Prepare the oven to 375 degrees. On a surface that has been dusted with flour, roll out half of the dough into a circle that is 1/8 of an inch thick and then transfer to a pie dish 9 inches in diameter. Put in the refrigerator while you make the filling. Sugars, flour, and spices should be mixed in a small bowl. Mix the apple slices with the lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the sugar mixture, and then toss to coat everything. After adding the filling, dot the crust with butter.
- Roll out the remaining dough into a circle that is 1/8 of an inch thick—position it on top of the filling. Cut, insulate, and flute the edge. Make cuts across the top. Whisk egg white until it forms a foam, then brush it over the crust. If you like, add some ground cinnamon and turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake the pie on the rack in the bottom of the oven for 60–70 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Cover the pie with foil if it begins to become too dark. Place on a wire rack to cool. You can serve this with ice cream and caramel sauce if you like.
Apple Pie Tips
What are the best apples to use in pies?
Granny Smith apples are preferred in pies made in the Taste of Home Test Kitchen because of their distinctively sour flavor and capacity to maintain their form. However, you should use Braeburn, Golden Delicious, or Jonagold apples if you’re looking for something that has more sweetness. Find out more about the varieties of apples that work best for making apple pie, and choose your favorite.
How many apples are in 6 cups?
Typically, one medium apple will give one and one third cups once cut. Therefore, you will need around 5 apples of medium size that have been peeled to make 6 cups of sliced apples. In addition, you will have some apples left over, which you can enjoy as a snack or use in one of these delicious apple dishes.
How do you keep the bottom of an apple pie from getting soggy?
To prevent the pie’s bottom crust from becoming soggy, you should let it heat up more quickly than the rest of the pie. To accomplish this, preheat the oven and then bake your pie on a baking sheet previously heated in the oven.
Is it better to bake a pie in glass or metal?
Baking pies with a double crust can be done successfully on metal and glass pie plates. However, it is best to use a metal plate for pies with a single crust that has already been baked because it heats up more quickly and produces a crunchier crust. Find additional pie baking tips in our ultimate pie making guide.
How do I keep my pie filling from being watery?
If you want to avoid having a soggy pie, prepare the pie crust before mixing the filling. This will help prevent the water from seeping into the crust. In addition, the packing will give out more moisture if you let it sit for a longer period before baking it. If you follow these tried-and-true pie crust secrets, your crust will be able to support the pie filling sturdily.
How should you store a baked apple pie?
As soon as the pie has been completely cooled, you can store it at room temperature for up to two days in a cake carrier, pie dome, or another airtight container as long as it is covered. After two days, you can put it in the refrigerator to extend its shelf life by another two days, bringing the total to four days. Find out whether or not apple pie should be refrigerated, as well as the best way to store this traditional autumn dish.
Can you freeze apple pie?
If you intend to store your apple pie in the freezer, the optimum time to do it is before baking; however, you can freeze it after it has been baked. Put the pie, baked or unbaked, in the freezer while still uncovered. Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before returning it to the freezer once it has reached a firm freezing state. After that, you can store it in the freezer for three to four months. If the pie has not been baked, allow it to defrost thoroughly before baking it.
Dough for double-crust pie
Mix two cups of all-purpose flour, half a teaspoon of salt, and one cup of cold butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add ice water in increments ranging from one-third to two-thirds of a cup, mixing with a fork between each addition until the dough can be pushed without falling apart. Cut the dough in half horizontally. Form each into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for one hour.
One serving has 467 calories, 25 grams of fat (15 grams of saturated fat), 64 milligrams of cholesterol, 331 milligrams of sodium, 58 grams of carbohydrates (26 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber), and 5 grams of protein.
Learn more: Taco Bell Fans Vote the Beefy Crunch Burrito Back to The Chain’s Menu